Claims Frequent Questions

Auto Insurance Claims

Reporting a Claim

What information do I need to obtain after an accident so I can file a claim?

The most important information includes the names and addresses of the individuals involved, the accident location, the make, model and plate number of the auto(s), names of any witnesses and if anyone was injured. You do not need all of this to file a claim, but it is best to include as much information as possible.

Should I call the police and report the incident?

Yes. We recommend you file a police report for any loss, but it is required that a police report be filed for certain losses as outlined in your policy.

Do I need to obtain my police report before filing a claim?

You can file a claim without having your police report. We will take the claim information that you have, then obtain your police report when it's available and gather the other party's information for you.

Auto and Rental Coverage

What is the difference between collision coverage and comprehensive coverage?

Collision coverage covers physical damage to your auto caused by a collision with another vehicle or object. Comprehensive, or other than collision, covers physical damage to your auto, including fire, theft, vandalism and breakage of glass.

Will my auto policy cover me if I drive someone else's vehicle?

The general rule is that insurance follows the car. For example, if you have an accident while driving someone else's vehicle, the owner of that vehicle's insurance would apply toward damages first. Your auto insurance may provide coverage in the event the owner of the vehicle did not have auto insurance or did not have enough coverage to pay for the damages. As there are exclusions that may apply, it is recommended that you contact Amica to discuss the specifics of the loss to determine possible coverage.

Does my auto policy cover property stolen from my covered vehicle?

If the stolen item(s) are permanently installed in the vehicle and you have purchased comprehensive (OTC) coverage, the loss is covered under your auto policy. However, if the property is something that you put in your vehicle, such as a laptop computer, GPS or golf clubs, the theft of these items is not covered under your auto policy. These items are usually covered under a homeowners or tenants policy, with certain restrictions.

Is it necessary to purchase the rental company's insurance on the rental vehicle?

Your Amica auto policy extends the same coverage to your rental vehicle; therefore you are not required to purchase additional insurance. There may be certain benefits to purchasing additional insurance, but please note that this may result in out-of-pocket expenses.

How much rental coverage do I have?

Most policies have a $20 per day limit, up to $600 total, included in the collision and other than collision coverage. You may have purchased an additional endorsement to increase your rental coverage. Check your policy or contact your file handler.

Should I purchase a rental damage waiver?

The purchase of a damage waiver, or additional insurance, is not covered under rental reimbursement coverage on your auto policy. However, it is your choice whether or not to purchase this coverage.

What if I need a rental extension?

Rental coverage cannot be extended beyond the amount of coverage provided on your policy. If you are not at fault, you may be able to recover the additional expense from the at fault party.

Other Auto Claims Related Topics

How am I covered if my car is involved in a flood?

This damage would be covered by your other than collision (comprehensive) coverage.

How am I covered if a tree or debris falls on my car?

This damage would be covered by your other than collision (comprehensive) coverage.

How am I covered if I hit storm debris in the road while driving?

This damage would be covered by your collision coverage.

How am I covered if my car is damaged by hail?

This damage would be covered by your other than collision (comprehensive) coverage.